You want to wear makeup, but you don’t want people to know you’re wearing makeup?
There are a few simple things you can do to make sure your face looks natural. Follow these tips and people may say “you look different, have you had a haircut?” rather than “you look… different…”.
- Prepare your skin: If you’re applying makeup over dry or flaky skin it’s going to end up looking patchy and clinging to the dry bits. Cleanse your face, pat it dry with a towel, and apply a pea-sized amount of your favourite moisturiser, or tinted moisturiser, all over before applying any makeup.
- Choose the right tools: Use your (clean!) fingers for a more concentrated application, fingers are great for covering blemishes, scars or dark under eyes. A slightly damp sponge or a foundation brush will give a more even and blended finish. For powders, opt for a powder brush which won’t lay the product on too heavily. Keep blending the product onto your skin until it looks smooth and even.
- Colour match: Choosing the concealer and foundation shade closest to your natural skin tone will help to keep it looking natural. Use our shade finder to help you find the right colour. If you want to warm the tone of your skin, always opt for adding bronzer rather than choosing a darker foundation shade.
- Less is more: Avoid being heavy-handed, it’s much easier to add more product than take it away. Start with a little bit and build up coverage if you think you need more.
- Check for classic tell-tale signs: Before you rush off, take a quick look at any areas where your makeup application might be obvious. Smooth any makeup under the eyes that has sunk into fine lines, check around the corners of your nose, around your hairline and along the jawline for any obvious colour mismatching.
If you’re ready to try the tools of the trade, the award-winning War Paint Ultimate Set is your secret weapon. It contains all of the products and application methods mentioned in this article, plus makeup remover to keep your skin squeaky clean. Oh it's also 20% off RRP, and ships inland for free.